Resources for Adoptive Families
by Dr. Barbara Lowe
Adoptive parenthood is similar to general parenting in that it brings tremendous joy, as well as significant stress. However, the emotional experiences of making a decision to adopt, going through the adoption process, and post adoption adjustment bring unique ups and downs that require extra support. Adoptive families need to be empowered with knowledge, support, and customized interventions that address parent and child adjustment challenges. At GPSS, our staff members are experts in addressing each family member’s unique needs in a way that facilitates overall progress and harmony. We also provide services that aid you through the adoption process, such as therapy and conducting required pre-adoption parent evaluations.
Below, we have listed resources that can be useful in your family’s journey.
- The Connected Child: Bring hope and healing to your adoptive family by Karyn Purvis, David Cross, Wendy Sunshine
- Parenting Your Internationally Adopted Child: From Your First Hours
- Together Through the Teen Years by Patty Cogen
- Adoption Parenting: Creating a Toolbox, Building Connections by Jean MacLeod, Sheena Macrae
- The Post-Adoption Blues: Overcoming the Unforeseen Challenges of Adoption by Karen J. Foli Ph.D.,
- Attaching in Adoption: Practical Tools for Today’s Parents by Deborah D. Gray
- You Can Adopt: An Adoptive Families Guide by Susan Caughman
- Beneath the Mask: Understanding Adopted Teens by Debbie Riley and John Meeks
Note: The information provided through non-GPSS resources is not meant to be taken as individualized psychological treatment recommendations. Users of the noted resources should use best judgment and seek psychological counsel as needed.
- Successful Adoption: A Guide for Christian Families by Natalie Gillespie
- Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born by Jamie Lee Curtis
- God Found Us You by Lisa Tawn Bergren
- I Wished for You: an Adoption Story by Marianne Richmond
- The Whole Me by Ellen K. Baron
ORGANIZATIONS AND WEB RESOURCES